Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This comes from the food section of the Houston Chronicle and has been kitchen tested by them. A delicious double- chocolate cake!
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa powder (like Hershey's)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter (three sticks, do not use margarine)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 12 ounces chocolate chips, see note
- 1 cup nuts, chopped, see note
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a tube or Bundt pan.
- Sift together flour,salt,cocoa,and baking soda; set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together with a mixer for three minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition, then add the vanilla.
- A little at a time, add sifted dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk.
- Stir in chips and nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and test for doneness.
- Remove from oven, let stand for 10 minutes, then invert pan to remove.
- Note: Put chips and nuts in a small bag and shake with 1 T. flour so they won't sink to the bottom of the cake.