Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A traditional Kentucky Derby dessert for your Derby Day parties or just anytime.
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, unbaked
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon (optional) or 1 tablespoon rum (optional)
Bourbon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon good Bourbon or 1⁄2 teaspoon rum flavoring
- Spread chopped nuts over the bottom of the prepared (unbaked) pie shell; sprinkle with chocolate morsels.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk eggs.
- Whisk in sugars, butter, flour, salt, vanilla, and bourbon (if desired).
- Pour batter evenly over nuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake in a 325° oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- To prepare whipped topping, for best results, chill bowl and beaters.
- Beat cream until thickened; add sugar and flavoring, then beat until soft peaks form.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
I'm giving this 5 stars because it was good, but it was soooooooo sweet!! Great for kids or those who don't think they can get enough sugar, or maybe as a remedy for PMS--but for me a little overwhelming.
Very very rich and gooey!!!! I loved the bourbon in the whipped cream, I realized after my pie was baking that I hadn't put the bourbon in the pie part because the instruction to do so was missing in the directions of this recipe so I forgot until I was making the whipped cream. It was still great! I baked mine for 40 minutes and after it cooled, it still was not firm, it sort of gooed all over but it tasted good! Made this as the last hurrah (before diet season starts) for New Year's Eve, 2008. Thanks for the recipe!
This fit the bill for decadent and easy. Very similar to pecan pie, except that the flour replaces the corn syrup. i served it with a squirt of plain whipped cream, and it was fantastic. I'll make some of the bourbon whipped cream tonight, since time is more on my side. Thanks for posting - I'll be making this again.