Recipe by Sassy in da South
A traditional Kentucky Derby dessert for your Derby Day parties or just anytime.
Top Review by pies & cakes & cookies ohmy!
I'm giving this 5 stars because it was good, but it was soooooooo sweet!! Great for kids or those who don't think they can get enough sugar, or maybe as a remedy for PMS--but for me a little overwhelming.
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, unbaked
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon (optional) or 1 tablespoon rum (optional)
Bourbon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon good Bourbon or 1⁄2 teaspoon rum flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread chopped nuts over the bottom of the prepared (unbaked) pie shell; sprinkle with chocolate morsels.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk eggs.
- Whisk in sugars, butter, flour, salt, vanilla, and bourbon (if desired).
- Pour batter evenly over nuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake in a 325° oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- To prepare whipped topping, for best results, chill bowl and beaters.
- Beat cream until thickened; add sugar and flavoring, then beat until soft peaks form.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.