1/1 Photo of Chocolate Chip Peppermint Ice Cream
1 hr 30 mins
This is the basic Creme Glacee with added ingredients. I made this recipe up for a dinner party, and changed it mid stream. My grown son told me it had to be green, so instead of using peppermint extract, I used 3 ounces of Creme de Menthe. It did not freeze hard in the ice cream maker, but we wanted to try it, and the softness did not bother any of us. We all had seconds, some had thirds, and the small amount that was left, I put in the freezer. I suspect it will not last through tomorrow. It was excellent. The next time I make it, I will allow several hours for freezer time. This is not a fast recipe. Well! I have let enough time slip by to get to know my recipe better. The Creme de Menthe is what I now use each time. The ice cream gets hard enough to be nice, but never so hard I can't "dip" it. I had two bowls tonight!... I have to stop making this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scald milk over low heat, but do not boil.
- 2Stir in sugar and salt until dissolved.
- 3Beat the egg yolks in the top part of a double boiler, but do not put over the bottom section, and the hot water, yet.
- 4Slowly add the milk, a little at a time, to the beaten egg yolks, being careful not to heat the eggs too quickly, and continuing to beat mixture.
- 5Place double boiler together, and cook over hot water, until mixture is thick and smooth.
- 7Add peppermint extract, whipping cream, and half and half.
- 8Fold this mixture into the custard.
- 9Churn freeze, adding the peppermint pieces and chocolate.
- 10Serve or pack in tub and place in freezer.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chip Peppermint Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.0
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 86.1 mg
- Sodium 59.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 2.9 g