Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Speckled with mini chocolate chips and pecans, this lightly sweetened bread makes a perfect accompaniment to coffee or tea.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour or 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup 2% buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄3 cup mini chocolate chip
- Preheat oven to 350*. Coat a 9x5" loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the unbleached or all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, maple syrup, applesauce, egg whites, and rum extract. Scrape into the well in the flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the bread begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack.