Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
This is a moist, dense, not to mention DELICIOUS, bread with very good flavor. It is marbled and topped off with a peanutty chocolate crumb topping. The recipe comes from the book "Do Breakfast" by Jane Donovan.
Top Review by HokiesMom
Very good bread. I am not a huge fan of the crumb topping and most of the teens I served it to were not either. I'm not sure if I did something wrong but it did not adhere really well to the bread and kept dropping off - I think it took away from the yumminess of the actual bread. I'm going to make it again without the topping and just use it as a filling to the bread and mix it in the dough a bit. The taste was exceptional of the bread itself. Nice balance of flavors between the peanut butter and chocolate.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons butter, in pieces
- 2 tablespoons dry roasted peanuts, chopped fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Into a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips Make a well in the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In another bowl, with the electric mixer beat the peanut butter, sugar, egg, milk, and vanilla. Pour these wet ingredients into the well and lightly stir with a fork until combined.
- Combine the crumb topping ingredients in a small bowl. Reserve.
- Spoon 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top, then sprinkle with 1/2 of the crumb mixture. Spoon over the remaining batter, smoothing it out, and sprinkle with the remaining crumb mixture. With a round bladed knife draw through mixture to marbelize lightly.
- Bake 50-55 minutes. Tester should come out moist with no uncooked crumbs. Cool on a rack 25 minutes then turn out carefully, top side up. When completely cool, wrap in foil and keep a day before serving.