Recipe by ColoradoCookin'
Taken from an old cookbook, adapted to fit my needs and tastes. 331 calories, 6 grams of fat, 1 mg of cholesterol.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange rind
- 2 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray 6 large, 3" muffin cups with no-stick spray and set aside.
- In large bowl mix all dry ingrediants, including orange peel.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Stire in the buttermilk and applesauce.
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into cups.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes.
- Cool in cups 5 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- To make standard sized muffins, spray 12 2 1/2" muffin cups with no-stick spray and bake for 15 to 17 minutes. 166 calories, 3 grams of fat, o mg of cholesterol.