Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with cherries + pecans+++
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄4 cup Raisin Bran cereal
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried coconut, shredded
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped coarse
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 1. Use parchment paper or a silpat* to line several standard baking sheets and set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- 2.In another bowl combine the oats, pecans, walnuts, Raisin Bran, coconut, dried cherries and chocolate.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a whisk and a strong arm, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Slowly add the egg and vanilla, and beat until incorporated.
- 3. Gently sift, or with the mixer down to low, add the flour mixture to the bowl. Stir until just combined. Finally incorporate the oats, nuts, fruit and chocolate. Do not overmix.
- 4. Roll these portions lightly between your hands in about 1/4 cup portions, then place on each baking sheet, spaced evenly. You can make them small, but adjust your baking time a few minutes less. Wet your hands and lightly press the dough to a 1-inch thickness.
- sprinkle with sea salt as you put into the oven.
- Bake the cookies, two trays at a time, in a preheated oven for 12 minutes. Rotate the trays top to bottom and back to front and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cookies are uniformly golden, but still wet in the middle. They should appear slightly undercooked.
- 5. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.