From a British cookbook of all chocolate recipes. Yum! The original recipe called for half semi-sweet and half milk chocolate. I don't usually keep milk chocolate on hand so use all semi-sweet and I don't think I'll ever try them with milk chocolate - the richness of the semi-sweet is so good. A mixture of chocolate chunks and chips is a nice variation instead of just chips.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, then milk and vanilla until well blended.
- Add oats and mix, then add flour, cocoa and baking powder. Mix until everything is well blended.
- Stir in chocolate.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or grease lightly).
- Scoop out dough in large gobs (about 1 1/4-1 3/8 oz each) and flatten slightly with a fork (dip fork in flour to prevent sticking).
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cookies are slightly risen and firm.
- Let cool on baking sheets for a few minutes then remove to wire racks to cool completely.