From a British cookbook of all chocolate recipes. Yum! The original recipe called for half semi-sweet and half milk chocolate. I don't usually keep milk chocolate on hand so use all semi-sweet and I don't think I'll ever try them with milk chocolate - the richness of the semi-sweet is so good. A mixture of chocolate chunks and chips is a nice variation instead of just chips.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, then milk and vanilla until well blended.
- Add oats and mix, then add flour, cocoa and baking powder. Mix until everything is well blended.
- Stir in chocolate.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or grease lightly).
- Scoop out dough in large gobs (about 1 1/4-1 3/8 oz each) and flatten slightly with a fork (dip fork in flour to prevent sticking).
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cookies are slightly risen and firm.
- Let cool on baking sheets for a few minutes then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
These chocolatey goodies are great! I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and quick cooking oats. The only thing I would do differently is to let them cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes, as you instructed, because they are a little crumbly if you move them too soon. Made for my adopted chef for Fall PAC 2011. Thanks flower7! :)
Mmm, perfect yummy little cookies! They have a lovely texture, so crumbly and crunchy on the outside with melted chocolate islands inside. YUMMY! The dough was so easy to work with and everything came together so quickly, that Ill surely make these cookies often again, even if I am short on time! As I dont like my cookies too sweet, I reduced the sugar to 1/4 in total. I had only milk chocolate on hand, so thats what I used, but Im sure semi-sweet would have been nice, too. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this lovely recipe with us, flower7! Made and reviewed for PRMR Holiday Special Decembre 09.
These are awesome! Easy and simple. I did have to add another tablespoon of milk, since I found the cookie dough a little too dry to work with. Other than that I couldn't ask for a better cookie recipe.