Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Gooseberry Patch Hometown Favorites.
Top Review by daranaco
I came across this recipe while trying to find a healthy alternative to the frozen chocolate chip waffles my kids eat everyday. I am thrilled to say that my kids love these! As others suggested, I used applesauce in lieu of oil and omitted the sugar. I used old fashioned oats because that was all I had on hand. I ground 1/4 c in blender and left the other 1/4 cup whole. Rather than add the chocolate chips to the batter, I put 6 chocolate chips in each pancake after the bottom crust had formed. To serve, I sprinkled the pancakes with powdered sugar. My only complaint is that the recipe as written only made 6 pancakes (using a 1/4 cup scoop).
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl; beat together until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Measure 1/4 cup batter for each pancake.
- Spoon batter on a hot, oiled griddle.
- Cook each side until pancakes are puffy and begin to bubble around the edges.
- Flip pancakes and cook other side until golden.