Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my adaptation of my sister in law's favourite granola bar recipe. You can sub out the dry ingredients to suit your taste... I would keep the large flake oats the same though for consistency. For the nuts I prefer to use dry roasted unsalted, you could use raw or salted but I don't like the texture of raw and I don't want the sodium of salted! The longer you bake the crunchier they'll be, 25 minutes gives a chewier bar. Enjoy!
- 3 cups large flake oats
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 2⁄3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup flax seed (dark)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (I use more)
- 1 (300 ml) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Chop your almonds and walnuts by hand or pulse in a food processor.
- Put all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon on top.
- Pour the olive and oil and can of sweetened condensed milk on top of the dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Line a large rectangular baking sheet (needs to have a lip around it) with parchment paper.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and press down with a spatula into one even layer (mixture will stick to spatula a bit, I just wipe that off and throw it on top when I'm done).
- Bake on middle rack in oven for 25-30 minutes depending on the desired consistency.
- Let cool COMPLETELY before removing them (in the parchment paper) for cutting or they will fall apart! (You can sneak one corner off because they will smell so good.).