1/3 Photos of Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Caryn Dalton's Note:
This was adapted from another meringue recipe that I got online. What can I say...it's all about the chocolate. I like these two ways...undercooked and chewy/crispy and dried hard and more crisp-ety. These make excellent gifts when dried all the way because they are supposed to keep a long time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- 2In a medium bowl, beat egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, vanilla and cocoa powder until soft peaks form.
- 3Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until meringue is stiff and glossy (about 90 seconds more after all sugar has been added). Please note that it is important to beat the whites long enough. The cookies will spread and be thinner rather than lofty (as shown in the pic) if poured on the sheet prematurely. You don't want the whites to break (start to get crumbly and break a part) .that will result in failed meringues but you are going to beat these a long time -- sometimes it takes me 5 minutes or more! A stand mixer sure is a plus here. What we are doing is incorporating air into the egg whites. That is what makes these cookies lofty, big and light in texture!
- 4Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- 5On a parchment-lined baking sheet, drop meringue by the 1/4 cup (I like to use an ice cream scoop with a release).
- 6For chewy cookies with a slightly crispy outer crust: Bake until dry and slightly crispy on outside about 1 hour. Let cool on baking sheets and then remove to an airtight container with sheets of parchment paper in between layers.
- 7For crispy more traditional meringues, cook until dry and crispy through about 1 1/2 hours. Let cool on baking sheets. Let cool on baking sheets and then remove to an airtight container with sheets of parchment paper in between layers.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.1
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 83.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 38.6 g
- Protein 2.9 g