Recipe by Marla in California
I found this recipe in a little soft cover recipe book called "Grandma's Best Desserts" put out by "Taste of Home". This recipe sounded good to me so I tried it last night and yes, I think it is really yummy. It is something a little different.
Top Review by Cure SMA mommy
I am very excited to find this recipe. My Grandmother made a version of this cookie and we all grew up calling them Grandma's half & half bars (half merigue and half chocolate chip cookie). I cant wait to try them this weekend, thank you!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz)
- 1 cup ground salted peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening, 1/2 C brown sugar and 1/2 C sugar.
- Add egg yolks and mix well.
- Combine the water and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with with water/vanilla mixture.
- Mix well.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- In a small glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add the remaining brown sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over chocolate chips.
- Top with peanuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.