Recipe by SnowHat
* To serve later and maintain freshness, store thoroughly cooled bars in airtight containers or freezer bags and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw for at least 1 hour before serving.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope fast rising yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine 1/ 2 cup flour, undissolved yeast, and salt.
- Heat water, milk, butter, and honey until very warm (120° to 130°F).
- Gradually add to dry ingredients.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add egg yolk and ½ cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed.
- Stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours.
- Remove dough from refrigerator.
- Combine chocolate morsels and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Roll dough to 8 x 8-inch square using 1/ 4 cup of sugar mixture (instead of flour) on surface.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar mixture; fold ends over center (like folding a letter).
- Repeat rolling, sprinkling, and folding procedure twice more using remaining sugar mixture.
- Roll to 8 x 8-inch square; pat in 8 x 8-inch square baking pan lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.
- Cut into bars to serve*.