Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This recipe originates from the Whole Foods Market website. After a few tries, I tweaked the recipe slightly. Now these granola bars are a family favorite, and I feel good about feeding them the wholesome treat. Use organic ingredients if you can! (Preparation time includes toasting and cooling the oats.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread oats onto an un-greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Mix oil, honey and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Add cooled oats, chocolate chips and nuts (if using) and mix well. (Note: If the oats are still warm at all, the chocolate chips will melt.).
- Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper and mist with oil.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto the parchment.
- Lay a sheet of waxed paper over the mixture and press to compact. (I use the palms of my hands to start, and then I use the bottom of a drinking glass to make the surface as smooth as possible.).
- Remove the waxed paper and use a rubber spatula to press in any of the oats that may have "straggled" up the sides of the dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely and lift parchment from the dish.
- Cut into 16 bars.
Super tasty! I love that it doesn't use butter or sugar. Can do a lot with this recipe - once I added dried cranberries and melted a bar of dark chocolate to spread on top for a kind of dessert. Thanks for the recipe! :)