Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this from my mother-in-law. If she had told me ahead of time there were dates in this I may never have tried it. mmmmm good secret: must be prepared day ahead.
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- In medium bowl mix 1 1/2 c boiling water and 1 1/2 tsp baking soda with the dates.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat together margarine,1 c sugar and eggs in large bowl.
- To this add vanilla extract and date mixture.
- Add flour, 3/4 tsp baking soda and salt.
- Pour into greased and floured 13x9 pan.
- Sprinkle 1/4 c sugar, nuts and chocolate morsels on top.
- Bake @ 325 degrees 45 minutes.
- The difficult part: set aside until the next day to eat.
So Good!! I made this last night. As another reviewer suggested, I added a little oats, and cocoa powder to the mix. I also made this with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Baking flour mix, and did everything else the same, except subbed pecans for the walnuts. My husband is in love with this. Definitely a keeper.
Yet aNOTHER fabulous recipe from a RZ member! OMG this is amazing! I had some leftover dates that I needed to use up and found this recipe. I am SO glad I did. My kids devoured it! A keeper for sure! I don't know how people dream up some of these recipes...they're truly amazing to the un-creative, such as myself! Thank you for sharing such a light and flavorful recipe! xo LA
Wonderful! I turned this into a cake for my brother's birthday. He doesn't like nuts so I subbed coconut in the topping and it was fantastic. I also used butter instead of marg., chopped up dark chocolate instead of chips, added a bit of oatmeal and a spoonful of cocoa to the batter. My brother took one bite and said, "YOU MADE THIS FROM SCRATCH!?" I packed it in my husband's lunch on the third day and he told me it was, "Friggin' awesome." and "Really, really, really, really good" Those are all five star reviews in my book. :) Thanks for posting!