Recipe by Chicopee
Got this from my mother-in-law. If she had told me ahead of time there were dates in this I may never have tried it. mmmmm good secret: must be prepared day ahead.
Top Review by argentesllc
This recipe is at least 60 years old. My long-deceased mom used to make these for us when we were kids, and I am 65 years old! I have this exact recipe on a handwritten recipe card from my mom's files. One tip off about how old the recipe is is that it calls for margarine. Please, for health and taste, use real butter or at least coconut oil. The recipe was great then, it is great now.
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl mix 1 1/2 c boiling water and 1 1/2 tsp baking soda with the dates.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat together margarine,1 c sugar and eggs in large bowl.
- To this add vanilla extract and date mixture.
- Add flour, 3/4 tsp baking soda and salt.
- Pour into greased and floured 13x9 pan.
- Sprinkle 1/4 c sugar, nuts and chocolate morsels on top.
- Bake @ 325 degrees 45 minutes.
- The difficult part: set aside until the next day to eat.