Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Yummy, moist, chocolatey while being very easy and fast to make.. Even those who don't like dates like this cake.
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, boiling
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted,all-purpose
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Pour boiling water over chopped dates and 1 tsp soda and let cool.
- Cream together shortening and sugar, add eggs.
- Mix together flour, salt, and 3/4 tsp baking soda.
- Add to shortening mixture 1/3 at a time, alternating with date/water mixture.
- Mix well after each addition.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13 in baking pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and walnuts on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees, 45- 50 min.