Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Yummy, moist, chocolatey while being very easy and fast to make.. Even those who don't like dates like this cake.
- Pour boiling water over chopped dates and 1 tsp soda and let cool.
- Cream together shortening and sugar, add eggs.
- Mix together flour, salt, and 3/4 tsp baking soda.
- Add to shortening mixture 1/3 at a time, alternating with date/water mixture.
- Mix well after each addition.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13 in baking pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and walnuts on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees, 45- 50 min.