Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A rich chocolate cake.
Make and share this Chocolate Chip Date Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup dates, cut up
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 (8 ounce) package chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour boiling water over dates and set aside to cool.
- Mix 1 cup sugar, oil, eggs, cocoa, dates with water, baking soda, salt and vanilla together and blend well.
- Stir in the flour until well blended.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x13-inch cake pan.
- Sprinkle the topping ingredients on top of cake mixture in this order: chocolate chips, walnuts and sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool.
I just made this and goodness me, it's absolutely delicious! Moist and soft, the only negative I have about it is that the taste of date isn't too prominent so next time (oh and there's definitely gonna be a next time), I shall add more dates. Thank you so much :)
A lovely moist cake. Not all that chocolatey, but the dates give it a rich flavor. My kids helped me make it... and gobble it up!
THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU! My Mom used to make this, and never wrote down the recipe. She pasted away without writing down a lot of her recipes. I have been looking all over the internet for this cake. It is FANTASTIC! She usually served it with real whipped cream on top.