Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
From "Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder" by JoAnne Fluke. These are awesome!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour (not necessary to sift)
- 2 cups corn flakes, crushed (measure after crushing)
- 1 -2 cup chocolate chips (we like to use the mini's as they mix more evenly)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together butter and both sugars till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, mixing well after each addition.
- Add baking soda, salt and vanilla.
- Slowly add flour and corn flakes.
- After everything else is throughly combined, add chocolate chips.
- Form into 1-2 tablespoons sized balls, 12 cookie balls to a standard cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or till lightly golden on the edges. Let cool on the cookie sheet till cookie begins to set up some then transfer to cooling racks.
Based on the comments on this site (that the cornflakes didn't hold up well to baking), I substituted 1 cup of crushed wheat bran flakes (instead of the 2 cups corn flakes). I also used only 1 cup of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. I removed from the oven after 8 minutes to get a softer cookie. (Cooled on a wire rack.) Even with the more hardy bran flakes, the cereal gives a chewy, rather than a crunch texture. It tastes almost like they have coconut in them, but without the coconut aftertaste. I think they are a little too sweet and a little short on flavor. If I make them again, I will cut back on the sugar overall and maybe substitute maple syrup for part of the sugar. They are a rather flat cookie, as some else mentioned. I'd grade them as a "B".
I must say these are different but totally enjoyable! I made these Friday for the workers, DH and BIL out at the barn (cottage) and they were GULPED down! I was amazed at how fast these were eaten. Of course they were taking 2 & 3 at a time. I did not have enough corn flakes and added in about a 1/4 cup of bran flakes. Great texture. As my DH and BIL are hard core chocolate chip cookie eaters I was unsure how receptive they would be but they were very receptive. Thank you PAC baby for a new way to make cookies. Will make these again next weekend for the worker bees.