Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
From bon appetit magazine -- a Casa Luna Bed & Breakfast recipe! The unusual addition of chocolate enhances the moistness and roasty corn flavor of this breakfast loaf. Can also be made as muffins --
Top Review by rpgaymer
I really loved this cornbread. Despite the ingredients, the cornbread is not overly sweet and the chocolate chips add a delicious, slightly-bitter, only-a-bit-sweet filling. I used a muffin tin to make mini-cornbreads, and they reminded me of a savory chocolate twinkie. Very, very good.
- nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. (For glass loaf pan, reduce oven temp to 350F.).
- Spray a 9x5x3 inch metal loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk, canola oil, and eggs.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients; stir just to blend.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake bread for about 35 minutes, until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes. Invert cornbread loaf onto rack ~ cool slightly and serve warm, or at room temperature.