Recipe by Not-2-Sweet
This recipe shows you how to adapt cookie recipe to get the type of cookie you want whether its thin and crunchy, puffy and cake like, or inbetween , puffed and chewy. It starts with the basic recipe, then tells you what to change for different results. This info can be adapted to almost any cookie recipe. I see so many questions on zaar regarding cookies lately, that i thought that this would be useful. It's from the book "Cookwise" bt Shirley Corriher... aka the food scientist from "Good Eats".. A great cookbook that shares the science behind cooking.
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 tablespoons fat
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- For Thin Crispy cookies:.
- For flour, use bleached all purpose flour.
- increase baking soda to 3/4 teaspoons.
- for fat, use butter.
- for sugar, use 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup light brown sugar, and 3 Tbs corn syrup.
- Instead of egg, use 2 Tbs milk.
- For puffed cookies:.
- for flour, use cake flour.
- intead of baking soda, use 1 1/2 tsp baking powder.
- For fat, use 9 Tbs butter flavored shortening.
- For sugar, use 1 cup minus 1 Tbs light brown sugar.
- For In-between (Chewy) cookies:.
- For flour, use cake flour.
- instead of baking soda, use 1 1/2 tsp baking powder.
- For fat, use 5 tbs butter and 5 Tbs butter flavored shortening.
- For sugar, use 3/4 cup light brown sugar and 2 Tbs corn syrup.
- Directions for all:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roast pecans in oven for 10-12 minutes. While still hot, stir in 2 Tbs butter.
- Turn oven up to 375 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder (soda).
- Using an electric mixer, cream together fat and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy' Add the corn syrup if using. Add egg or milk and beat throughly. Beat in vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, then pecans and chocolate chips. Mix well.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Drop slightly heaped tablespoons of dough about 2" apart.
- Bake 12 minutes or just until edges begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet placed on a rack for 3 minutes. Remove cookies to rack to cool completely.