Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
My mom has used this recipe for 40 years now and it is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I have ever had. The cookie is crisp around the edges and yet chewy at the same time. I will occasionally omit the nuts due to food allergies for those I'm feeding. I get alot of people questioning how all my cookies are the same size, I'm old school and will still use a teaspoon or tablespoon and my fingers to slide the cookie dough off the spoon. No need for fancy ice cream scoops if you don't want to. :) This will surely become a favorite of yours once you give it a try....
- 158.51 ml shortening
- 158.51 ml butter or 158.51 ml margarine, softened
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 236.59 ml brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans recommended)
- 340.19 g package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix thorougly shortening, butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool slightly before removing from baking sheet.
- *If using self-rising flour, omit baking soda and salt.
In my family, we simply call these "Grandma cookies". My entire life, my Grandma has made these and they are incredible. I'm not sure what she does that makes hers that much better than mine (other than the fact that she's 84 and I'm 26, so experience is a factor) but these are gone in minutes at family gatherings. She even sends the grandkids off to college with them. The biggest thing I can say is DOUBLE THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS. It makes them spread a little less and who doesn't like extra chocolate!
Yum - these are really good. I made exactly as written and we all loved them. Made for Spring PAC 2012
Ohhh my gosh! I have been looking for this exact recipe for YEARS! It was this recipe I grew up with my Grandma baking, but after she died I just couldn't remember the recipe! Thank you so much for sharing this! I made the cookies this evening for my family and they were a total hit, just like I remembered them! :) Thank you again!