My mom has used this recipe for 40 years now and it is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I have ever had. The cookie is crisp around the edges and yet chewy at the same time. I will occasionally omit the nuts due to food allergies for those I'm feeding. I get alot of people questioning how all my cookies are the same size, I'm old school and will still use a teaspoon or tablespoon and my fingers to slide the cookie dough off the spoon. No need for fancy ice cream scoops if you don't want to. :) This will surely become a favorite of yours once you give it a try....
- 158.51 ml shortening
- 158.51 ml butter or 158.51 ml margarine, softened
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 236.59 ml brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans recommended)
- 340.19 g package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix thorougly shortening, butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool slightly before removing from baking sheet.
- *If using self-rising flour, omit baking soda and salt.