My mom has used this recipe for 40 years now and it is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I have ever had. The cookie is crisp around the edges and yet chewy at the same time. I will occasionally omit the nuts due to food allergies for those I'm feeding. I get alot of people questioning how all my cookies are the same size, I'm old school and will still use a teaspoon or tablespoon and my fingers to slide the cookie dough off the spoon. No need for fancy ice cream scoops if you don't want to. :) This will surely become a favorite of yours once you give it a try....
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans recommended)
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix thorougly shortening, butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool slightly before removing from baking sheet.
- *If using self-rising flour, omit baking soda and salt.