Recipe by ciao
These are my absolute favorite and perfect chocolate chip cookies. I've tried tons of recipes to get them the way I like them. Perfect if you like good chocolate chips, and crispy cookies. Please do try the Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chips. They're extra big and they stay creamy, even after baking, and have such good flavor. If you can't find those, try a good quality semi sweet chocolate, chopped into chunks. From the Ghirardelli site, but I've made changes. By the way, I've made these time after time with consistent results each time. EXCEPT for the time my husband bought butter flavor shortening instead of plain. What a disaster! I actually mourned the passing of that bag of Ghirardelli chips, lol. So PLEASE, for my happiness and yours, USE PLAIN SHORTENING, not butter flavor icky shortening! Thank you.
Top Review by love4culinary
Fabulous cookies. The powder went out on campus today for 2hrs... and it just so happens that it went out during my cooking class on campus. We were baking at the time for a big board meeting tomorrow and we didnt get to make our cookies because of the powder outage. I, being the wonderful student I am (HAHAHAHA) offered to make some cookies for the event because my professor was going to have to spend the entire day baking so many cookies herself... Here I Come to save the day!!! LOL Thanks :) Fabulous cookies ;)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups unsifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips or 2 cups milk chocolate chips or 2 cups double chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375º F.
- Stir the flour with baking soda and salt, then set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and the shortening with the sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Blend the dry mixture into creamed mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if desired).
- Drop by tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- (I like to use parchment paper for baking on).
- Bake at 375º F for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.