1/5 Photos of Chocolate Chip Cookies
With more than 100 recipes for chocolate chip cookies, why do we need another? Because this one is simply divine and originated in the kitchen of one of the finest bakers known. Not me silly, none other than Jacques Torres who lives by the credo “Life is short, eat dessert first.” I love his recipes and consider anything prepared from his books a necessary indulgence. Life just tastes better with chocolate. Should you find yourself in New York be sure to visit one of his stores. Not on the standard list of attractions but pure nirvana for chocoholics. Back to the cookie, it is sinful and sultry and gooey yet not overly sweet. Shhhh, the secret is the corn syrup and shaved chocolate in the dough. As far as the chocolate choices, pick your favorites. My suggestion is shaved dark chocolate with semi-sweet chips/chunks and toasted pecans. (In a July 2008 NYT article Chef Torres noted getting a superior result with chocolate chip cookies by chilling the dough between 12 and 48 hours before baking. Will have to give this a try soon.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, well packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chunks (either high quality milk or dark chocolate)
- 1 cup grated chocolate (semi-sweet or other)
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the softened butter with the sugars and corn syrup. Beat at medium-high speed for 3 to 4 minutes until the butter is light and fluffy and much of the granular sugar is dissolved into the butter. Add the egg and the scrapings from the inside of the ½ vanilla bean.
- 3In another mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- 4Reduce your mixer speed to medium and combine the dry ingredients into the liquid. Only mix enough to fully combine the ingredients. Over mixing toughens the cookie up.
- 5Using a spatula fold the chocolate chunks and shavings into the dough.
- 6Scoop mounded tablespoons of dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8-9 minutes. Actual baking time depends on the size of the cookie; 2 inch cookies are about 8 minutes, very large 3-4 inch cookies are more like 10-11 minutes.
- 7Remove from oven and allow them to cool for 1 minute on the sheets before removing to a wire rack.
- 8Serve with milk and a smile.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.6
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 23.6 mg
- Sodium 15.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: