Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a recipe that I got from my mom.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large well-beaten egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (7 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Mix the shortening, vanilla, and both sugars until it forms a paste.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Make sure all the flour is mixed in thoroughly.
- Stir in chocolate chips. At this point, you have cookie dough, and it can be eaten as is.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for about 12 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
These were a nice surprise. They were not too soft and not too crispy, just a nice in-between. DS helped me make these and we had great fun. I used margarine and got 28 cookies. I did find that if I didn't immediately remove them from my well-greased cookie sheet, they began to stick and become difficult to remove.