Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 (9 inch) basic flaky pie shells, refrigerated
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk or 1⁄4 cup light cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- **Roll out pie pastry; fit into 9-inch pie pan; sculpt edge into an upstanding ridge; place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter on medium speed; gradually adding the sugars.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla; add the flour and salt and blend until evenly mixed.
- Blend in the milk; don’t be concerned if the filling looks a little curdled.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour filling into chilled pie shell, smooth the top.
- Place pie on center oven rack; bake about 1 hour, rotating the pie 180° halfway through the baking time (watch crust edges and cover with foil to prevent overbrowning).
- When done, the top of the pie will be a dark golden brown; that is fine—it doesn’t mean the pie is overbaked.
- Give the pie a slight nudge; the filling should not move in waves, even at the center.
- Transfer pie to a wire rack; let cool.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature, OR cover with loosely tented foil and refrigerate 1-2 hours before serving.