Recipe by A Messy Cook
I would rather have a slice of this bread than a chocolate chip cookie: it's a lot more filling and much better for you! Makes two loaves, so keep one for fresh eating and stick the other in the freezer.
Top Review by m_e_g_g
Made these with my 5 year old as per instructions, but used brown sugar instead of honey. We also made these into 24 muffins, instead of bread. Dense and moist. REALLY like the coconut. Gives it a little something extra and some texture. And of course, the chcoloate chips are a hit with the kiddos. Thanks!
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup honey or 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 3⁄4-1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Blend oil, applesauce, honey, and vanilla; add eggs and blend well.
- Add bananas to oil mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, alternating with water and mixing well after each addition.
- Fold in chocolate chips and coconut.
- Pour into two greased 5x9 loaf pans and bake at 325 degrees for 60-65 minutes, or until tests done; remove to rack to cool for 20-25 minutes, then remove from pans to finish cooling.