Recipe by Dave in Alpharetta, GA
Unbelievably good pastry. These can be made with various combinations of filling, this just happens to be one of my favorites. Feel free to experiment with different kinds of jams, jellies, nuts, cinnamon, etc. The dough reminds me of the jewish bakeries my family frequented when I was a child. Spot on. Recipe stolen from Bon Appetit and posted here for convenience.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces chilled cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 tablespoons cherry preserves
- 8 tablespoons dried tart cherries
- 8 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream (approx)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend first 3 ingredients in processor. Add butter and cream cheese and cut in using on/off turns until dough begins to clump together. Gather dough into ball. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces; flatten into disks. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate 2 hours. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated. Let soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out.).
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Roll out 1 dough disk on floured surface to 9-inch round. Spread 3 tablespoons cherry preserves over dough, leaving 1-inch border. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons dried cherries, then 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar and 2 tablespoons walnuts. Press filling firmly to adhere to dough.
- Cut dough round into 8 equal wedges. Starting at wide end of each wedge, roll up tightly. Arrange cookies, tip side down, on prepared baking sheet, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart and bending slightly to form crescents. Repeat 3 more times with remaining dough disks, preserves, dried cherries, chocolate chips, cinnamon sugar and walnuts. Place baking sheet in freezer 30 minutes.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F Brush cookies lightly with whipping cream. Bake frozen cookies until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and cool completely. (Can be made ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.).