Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe could easily be cut in half. It feeds a lot of people.
- 25 -28 chocolate chip cookies
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, coarsley chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Crush cookies into fine crumbs.
- Reserve 1 tablespoons for garnish.
- Add sugar and butter to crumbs and mix well.
- Grease bottom and sides of 13" x 9" pan.
- Press crumb mixture into bottom of pan and halfway up sides.
- Place in freezer while preparing cheese filling.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Place cream cheese in a large bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer until smooth.
- Add sugar, flour, orange rind, and vanilla.
- Beat just enough to blend ingredients.
- Blend in eggs one at a time and egg yolks the same way. (Be careful not to overbeat. This can cause cracking of the top.).
- Blend in sour cream.
- Fold chocolate chips into cream cheese mixture.
- Pour into crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450.
- Reduce oven temperature to 250.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven, then reset oven temperature to 450.
- Now make topping mixture: Blend together sour cream, sugar, and vanilla.
- When oven has reheated to 450, spread sour cream evenly on top of baked cheesecake. Topping will hide any cracks.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Let cake cool.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Garnish top with reserved cookie crumbs.