Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
An easy, yummy, chocolaty recipe that feeds a large group or hog it all yourself! Notice it is called a "Cheese Cake" not a "cheesecake" in the traditional way.
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix (I like the deeper chocolates with this recipe)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 5 eggs (2 for cake mix, 3 for cheese mixture)
- 1 lb cream cheese, softened
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
- Mix cake mix with the amounts of oil and water as package directs and use 2 eggs.
- Pour into ungreased 13x9x2-inch pan. Mix cream cheese, sour cream, 3 eggs, vanilla and sugar. Pour over cake mixture.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Chill completely before serving.
- I haven't tried this with a "pudding in the mix" cake mix so don't know if it would turn out.
We really liked this cake. It's nearly impossible to find an 18 oz. box of cake mix anymore, though. It seems they're being phased out. I had to use a 16 oz. box that called for 1 cup of water. I made the rest of the recipe exactly as posted, except I ended up using only 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips (the whole bag seemed to be too much). It turned out perfectly for us. Of course, I had to rename this Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Cake because everyone kept expecting a cheesecake! :-) Thanks for sharing this really nice cake. Made for Spring PAC 2013.