Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are delicious moist brownies, filled with an easy-to-make homemade caramel sauce for additional great flavors! I created this recipe from picking out my favorites of other recipes, and adding the chocolate chips and caramel.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut in chunks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla, and
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar (I prefer 1c. granulated, 1c. brown, but any will do)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 ounce) bag chocolate chips
- For the caramel: Combine the sugar, corn syrup, honey, and salt in a 3 quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the mixture simmers around the edges. Brush the sugar off the sides. Cover and cook for about three minutes.
- Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pot and cook until it reaches 308 degrees (if you don't have a candy thermometer, cook for about eight minutes.).
- While the sugar mixture is cooking, bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan.
- Remove the sugar mixture from heat, and immediately stir in butter. Gradually stir in the hot cream.
- Return to heat until mixture slightly boils.
- Stir, and cook for 22-30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Immediately pour into a pan or bowl, and let cool for 2-3 hours.
- After two hours, start preparing the brownies.
- For the brownies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a bowl on high for 1-1 1/2 minutes in the microwave, then add in the oil. Add sugar and cocoa to the butter mixture until well mixed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla until just blended. Then add the flour, baking powder, salt, and finally the chocolate chips.
- Spread half of the batter into a well greased 9x13" pan.
- Pour the caramel onto the brownies, staying withing an inch of the sides. Save a little sauce to pour on top of brownies.
- Pour the rest of the brownies on top, then use the last of the caramel, and make a caramel swirl.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Caramel can be made a day or two ahead of time.