Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Chocolate and caramel...on a cookie crust? Heaven!
Make and share this Chocolate Chip Caramel Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup butter shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease and lightly flour an 8 x 8 inch pan. Set aside.
- Combine shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in medium bowl; beat at medium speed until blended.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Add gradually to shortening mixture at low speed. Beat until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips with spoon. Divide dough in half. Spread half in bottom of prepared pan.
- Combine caramels and water in small saucepan; heat over very low heat. Stir until caramels melt. Spread over dough in pan to within 1⁄2 inch of edge. Spoon remaining dough over caramel mixture. Spread carefully.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Loosen from sides of pan with knife. Remove pan to cooling rack to cool completely. Cut into 1 1⁄2 x 1 1⁄2-inch bars.