Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
This is my absolute favorite cake, which I request every year for my birthday. It comes from a lovingly-used, almost-falling-apart Betty Crocker cookbook that my mother owns. It is very rich and somewhat dense with bits of chocolate chips throughout, creamy butterscotch filling and decadent chocolate glaze. It is best served with a large glass of milk or scoop of vanilla ice cream. It can be made as a layer cake or bundt cake (omitting the filling) with or without the glaze. (Note: Preparation time does not include time required for cooling cake or filling.)
Top Review by MichelleinSask
This has to be one of my favorite cakes! I also have the Betty Crocker cookbook and it is well used and loved. But I do make a change. I always double the filling and the glaze! This is pure decadence!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups chocolate chips, roughly chopped (or miniature chocolate chips)
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all cake ingredients except chocolate chips and walnuts. Blend well with a handheld mixer, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Fold chocolate chips and walnuts (optional) into batter.
- Divide batter in half and pour evenly into two greased and floured round layer cake pans. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for at least one hour before turning out.
- Carefully turn first cake out of pan onto cake plate with flat side on plate and round side facing up. With a knife, carefully trim the rounded edge to make a flat surface for the filling.
- For filling, stir together brown sugar, cornstarch, salt and water in a medium saucepan. Over medium heat, cook (stirring constantly) until mixture begins to thicken (to a pudding-like consistency) and boil. Boil and stir for one minute. Remove from heat. Cool for at least 10 minutes. Spread filling over top of bottom layer of cake.
- Carefully turn second cake out of pan. Place flat side of cake atop bottom layer of cake (covered with filling) with round side facing up. Do not trim rounded top surface of cake.
- For glaze, heat chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Cool slightly. Spread over top layer of cake, allowing some of the glaze to drip down the sides of the cake.
- For bundt cake without filling, follow cake and glaze instructions. Baking time for cake may vary due to its being one layer instead of two. Turn cake out of bundt pan with flat side facing down and top with glaze as directed above.