Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Sinfully rich chocolate frosting covers tender vanilla cake layers studded with mini chocolate chips. To top it off, there are lots of Hershey's Hugs and Kisses. Preparation time includes cooling cake.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups butter, at room temperature
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- additional mini chocolate chip (optional)
- 60 Hershey chocolate kisses, unwrapped (Hershey's Kisses and Hugs)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour 2 (9 inch) round cake pans.
- Mix 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Toss 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips with remaining 2 T flour; reserve.
- In bowl on medium-high speed, beat 1 cup butter and sugar until fluffy, 2 minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in sour cream and vanilla until combined.
- Alternately beat in flour mixture with milk.
- Stir in reserved flour-chocolate chips mixture.
- Divide evenly between pans.
- Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Transfer from pans to racks.
- Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in microwave-safe bowl, microwave remaining 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips on high, stirring often, until melted, about 1 minute.
- Stir until smooth.
- Cool to room temperature, 10 minutes.
- On medium, beat remaining 1 cup butter until fluffy; beat in melted chocolate, then gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, until fluffy.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread cake top and side with remaining frosting.
- If desired, press additional chocolate chips along bottom edge of cake.
- Cover top with Kisses and Hugs candies.