Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A super easy no frosting cake that is delicious warm from the oven. One of my family's favorite cakes of all time.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup margarine or 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (6 ounce) package chocolate chips (mini or regular)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease (not oil) a 13 x 9 pan.
- In large bowl, combine first 9 ingredients.
- Mix well by hand or use a mixer at medium speed for about 3 minutes.
- Pour half of the batter (about 2 1/2 cups) into the prepared pan.
- In separate small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle half of the sugar mixture and chocolate chips (1/2 cup) over batter.
- Repeat with remaining batter, sugar mixture, and chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
I've made this cake twice. The 1st time I followed the recipe- was amazing. The 2nd time I tried using apple puree in place of some of the sugar, and reduced the sour cream and added some yogurt in place of it. It did not turn out the same. The original recipe is excellent- moist and sweet, if not a bit of a guilty indulgence. I bring some to work everyday.
Moist and delicious, I will definitely make again!
This is a great cake made easily with kitchen staples. I do reduce the amount of sugar a bit and it is always delicious! Just a note to those who say the chocolate chips sink to the bottom. If you take a tablespoon of flour from what you're using for the recipe, and mix it with the chips til they're evenly coated, they won't sink as much. Thanks for sharing this recipe!