Recipe by JeriBinNC
This is a recipe of my mom's. It made it into the Southern Living Cook-Off cookbook for 2003. This is a rich, decadent pie.
Top Review by Bobtail
Luscious and decadent! Totally agree with previous reviewer, cut this in small slices, it is very rich, but so delicious. I did not use a deep dish pie pan (did not have one) and I definitely should have. I had a bit of the custard/chocolate chip mixture left over which I baked in a small ramekin. The pie would have had more custard at the top if I had used the deep dish pie pan. All in all, the pie turned out great as well as the small bit cooked in the ramekin. Will definitely be repeated! Thanks JeriBinNC!
- 0.5 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
Directions See How It's Made
- Fit pie crust into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate; fold edges under and crimp.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes; cool crust on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, beat butter, sugar, and flour and medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla; beat well.
- Fold in chocolate morsels.
- Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour until just set and lightly browned.
- Cool completely before serving.