Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 6 mins
This is a recipe of my mom's. It made it into the Southern Living Cook-Off cookbook for 2003. This is a rich, decadent pie.
- 0.5 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- Fit pie crust into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate; fold edges under and crimp.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes; cool crust on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, beat butter, sugar, and flour and medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla; beat well.
- Fold in chocolate morsels.
- Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour until just set and lightly browned.
- Cool completely before serving.
Luscious and decadent! Totally agree with previous reviewer, cut this in small slices, it is very rich, but so delicious. I did not use a deep dish pie pan (did not have one) and I definitely should have. I had a bit of the custard/chocolate chip mixture left over which I baked in a small ramekin. The pie would have had more custard at the top if I had used the deep dish pie pan. All in all, the pie turned out great as well as the small bit cooked in the ramekin. Will definitely be repeated! Thanks JeriBinNC!
Before I post my review, I would like to say " I'm very pleased to be the first one to rate this recipe ". :) Now for my review, except for using Recipe#319853 for the crust this recipe was made exactly as it was written. And as it says in the description " This is a rich, decadent pie. "Take it from me it sure is. :) I would seriously suggest cutting this into very,very small slices. I'm certainly going to make this again( just not to often since it is so rich. )Thank you so much for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "