Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is guaranteed to satisfy your chocolate fix. Ooey, gooey, fudgey, and chewy.
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine (2 sticks)
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Place 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips and the butter in a saucepan on very low heat, and stir, until melted, being careful not to scorch.
- Allow melted chocolate to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spread walnuts (optional) on a baking sheet (if not already toasted), and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes; remove pan from oven and allow nuts to cool before chopping.
- Mix together eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl; stir in vanilla and salt.
- Sift flour, and add in small portions to egg, mixing well after each addition, until thoroughly blended.
- Stir in cooled chocolate and mix well; then fold in chopped nuts (if using).
- Add remainder of chocolate chips (about 1 1/4 cups) to the batter and stir well.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x11-inch pan and spread evenly.
- Bake at 325 degrees for approx 25-30 minutes, then allow brownies to cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Makes approx 15 brownies, depending on size preference.
This recipe is but the latest in my quest to find the perfect brownie. The texture of these brownies is great, but I think they are way too sweet considering the recipe only uses semisweet chocolate. I would either cut the amount of sugar in half, or use 3 or 4 ounces of unsweetened chocolate in the brownie batter before adding the chocolate chips. I used Nestle's chocolate chunks to make these which I will never do again (I learned I don't like Nestle for baking). I will definitely make these again, but with the changes said earlier.
Thanks SueL for posting this recipe. I totally agree with angelfan, this is the best home made brownies I have ever tasted. I didnt use chocolate chips for the whole recipe, I used Dove dark chocolate bar (250g) and made up the 360g called for in the recipe with chocolate chips and I also added a full cup of chocolate chips instead of the remaining 1-1/4 cup of chocolate chips. I didnt use any nut this time (but will likely use walnut the next time). I dont have the conventional oven but used a Tefal electric oven instead which needed another extra 25mins to bake at 180 deg Celcius. The brownies turned out fantastically moist, rich, aromatic ..simply heavenly :) Thanks, its definitely a '2-thumbs up' recipe!
Melt in your mouth, sweet comfort, chocolate fix, book mark receipe good! Puts the smile back on your face.