1 hr 20 mins
This recipe comes from The Little Fountain Cafe in Washington D.C. The pudding can be assembled up to one day ahead, then popped into the oven just before you sit down for dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb loaf brioche bread (* with crust, cut into 1-inch cubes) or 1 lb egg bread (* with crust, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
Cinnamon Rum Sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- 3Place bread in large bowl; pour 8 tablespoons melted butter over bread and toss to coat.
- 4Add chocolate chips and toss to combine.
- 5Transfer mixture to prepared dish.
- 6Whisk half and half, 1 cup sugar, eggs, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and salt in large bowl to blend.
- 7Pour over bread cubes in dish.
- 8Let stand 30 minutes, occasionally pressing bread cubes into custard. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- 9Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter over pudding; sprinkle with brown sugar.
- 10Bake bread pudding until puffed, brown, and set in center, about 1 hour.
- 11Serve warm with Cinnamon-Rum Sauce.
- 12To make the sauce:.
- 13Melt unsalted butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- 14Add dark brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and salt and whisk until sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbling and smooth, about 6 minutes.
- 15Remove from heat.
- 16Whisk in dark rum and vanilla extract.
- 17Serve warm over the baked bread pudding.
- 18(Cinnamon-Rum Sauce can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over low heat, whisking occasionally, before serving.)
- 19*Brioche is a golden, light bread made from egg- and butter-enriched yeast dough. It is available at French bakeries and some large supermarkets.
- 20**Cook time does not include letting bread stand 30 minutes before baking.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding With Cinnamon-Raisin Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.9
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 260.4 mg
- Sodium 144.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 44.8 g
- Protein 6.3 g