Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe comes from The Little Fountain Cafe in Washington D.C. The pudding can be assembled up to one day ahead, then popped into the oven just before you sit down for dinner.
- 1 lb loaf brioche bread (* with crust, cut into 1-inch cubes) or 1 lb egg bread (* with crust, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
Cinnamon Rum Sauce
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Place bread in large bowl; pour 8 tablespoons melted butter over bread and toss to coat.
- Add chocolate chips and toss to combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared dish.
- Whisk half and half, 1 cup sugar, eggs, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and salt in large bowl to blend.
- Pour over bread cubes in dish.
- Let stand 30 minutes, occasionally pressing bread cubes into custard. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter over pudding; sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake bread pudding until puffed, brown, and set in center, about 1 hour.
- Serve warm with Cinnamon-Rum Sauce.
- To make the sauce:.
- Melt unsalted butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add dark brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and salt and whisk until sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbling and smooth, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in dark rum and vanilla extract.
- Serve warm over the baked bread pudding.
- (Cinnamon-Rum Sauce can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over low heat, whisking occasionally, before serving.)
- *Brioche is a golden, light bread made from egg- and butter-enriched yeast dough. It is available at French bakeries and some large supermarkets.
- **Cook time does not include letting bread stand 30 minutes before baking.