Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can start this dessert a day ahead and bake it in the time you are preparing and serving dinner. Microwave the leftovers for breakfast.
- 3 cups firm white bread, cubes
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- vanilla ice cream
- chocolate syrup
- Generously butter a 2-quart baking dish or casserole.
- Combine bread and chocolate chips in the buttered dish.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- Gradually whisk in milk and cream.
- Drizzle over bread cube mixture; wrap tightly and refrigerate until ready to bake, several hours or overnight.
- At least 1 1/2 hours before serving, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover baking dish and place on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake pudding until golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Set aside to cool slightly before serving.
- To serve, divide pudding among 6 bowls.
- Top with ice cream and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
We really enjoyed this bread pudding. I was looking for something with a little chocolate and this worked perfectly with chocolate chips. Thanks for a great recipe!