Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 mins
Want to be healthy and naughty too? These muffins are fantastic. They are cooked in the microwave and you can cook up as many as you want--the batter keeps for several days in the refrigerator. Recipe comes from Hershey's Chocolate Treasury.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-bran cereal
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (I use half Splenda and half sugar.)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped dried apricot
- all-bran cereal, for topping
- Combine the 1-1/2 cup cereal and boiling water in a medium bowl; blend well and allow to cool.
- Add buttermilk, oil and egg; blending well.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; stir in cereal mixture, mini chips and chopped apricots.
- Stir until moistened.
- Spray six 5- to 6-oz custard cups with non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill each cup half full with batter and sprinkle each with 2 tsp.
- bran flake cereal.
- Microwave on high for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 minutes, turning 1/4 turn at end of each minute, or until wooden toothpick inserted off center comes out clean.
- Tops will appear moist, let them stand several miutes.
- Repeat the cooking procedure for remaining batter or place the left over batter in the fridge and store for another day.
Sorry Paula, can't give a rating as I think I messed up. I think it might be because I used a silicone pan for muffins and for some reason, the muffins came out humid and kind of rubbery. Will try again in a glass or pottery dish. Sorry :(
Great muffins, I made as stated only subbed raisins for apricots, and omitted the chocolate chips completely. I also added in 1/2 teaspoon baking powder to give them just a little more volume. Thanks Paula!...Kitten:)
really easy to put together, and the micro makes this so easy. cooking time was right on, instant breakfast.