Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Posted in response to a request for an authentic Italian recipe. Received recipe from the wife of a doctoral student while in grad school. The couple was from Italy and had the most adorable little red-haired son! I've had some problem w/ it "melting" during baking and not remaining loaf-like but Gina said it happened occasionally to her too! Either way, this is very tasty! (When it "melted"... I just cut it up like bar cookies! No throwing THIS away!!!)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together butter, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add flour, cornstarch, and baking soda, blending well.
- Add chocolate chips and nuts.
- Form dough into two loaves on cookie sheet.
- Bake 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cut into slices, and arrange on cookie sheet side-down and not touching.
- Return to oven for 10 minutes more.
Wonderful biscotti! I think it is the addition of the cornstarch that creates a perfect texture! Also just the perfect sweeteness, I used mini chocolate chips and toasted walnuts, thanks for a great biscotti recipe Impera!...Kitten :)
Well, I took a chance and it melted for me too. It looked like a giant chocolate chip cookie. We will still eat it, but I really wanted a traditional biscotti shape.
First time I made this, it also melted, and I didn't post a review, since I'm not the greatest baker and I thought it was probably me.....tasted good tho! DD1 made these yesterday.............perfection! She is a much better baker than her mum...... :-)