Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe came from a book with all sorts of mixes that you layer in a quart canning jar to give as gifts. I wanted to try this particular one so I just put everything together in a mixing bowl and didn't bother making a jar. Sometimes the goodies that are in a jar are not that great but these are delicious; they are moist and have lots of yummy flavors. At the end of the recipe in the instructions, I will list how to do the layers if you should want to give this as a gift. You will notice in the layers that there are two of flour, white sugar, and brown sugar. That is just to make it look nice but if you are going to make it without the jar, just follow the instruction that I have listed. Tie a big bow around the top and give as a gift.
- Cream butter, both sugars, and egg; add vanilla and water.
- Add the flour, powder, soda, and salt; mix well.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Spread in a greased 9x12 pan (9x13 will make them a little thinner).
- Bake 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes till done; cool in pan; cut in 2" squares.
- FOR GIFT GIVING:.
- In a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar pack each layer in place before adding the next ingredient.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 3/4 cup flour.
- 1/4 cup white sugar.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- 1 cup chocolate chips.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar.
- 1/4 cup white sugar.
- 1 cup flour.
- WRITE A NOTE ON EACH JAR ON HOW TO MAKE IT:.
- 1 jar Chocolate Chip Bar Mix.
- 3/4 cup butter--softened.
- 2 eggs.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- 1 teaspoon water.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees; In large mixing bowl cream the butter and eggs and vanilla; add the Chocolate Chip Bar Mix and stir till blended; spread into greased 9x12 pan and bake for 20-25 minutes; cool in pan and cut in 2" squares.
Great recipe! A friend gave me a jar as a gift and where to find the ingredient list. Simple to make, delicious taste, couldn't ask for more. Thank you for sharing!
Made this today as a trial run for end of the year teacher gifts. I made exactly as written. I found that the bars were not done in the center after 25 minutes so gave them a few extra minutes. Unfortunately, that dried them out a wee bit. Good taste though, so I will make again, but will take them out of the oven sooner. I think I may add a light sprinkle of cinnamon to the mix too. Thx for sharing.
I made this as a gift for a friend's birthday and was delighted at how easy and quick it all went together and especially at how beautiful it looked. The layers can be seen clearly and the addition of brown sugar makes for an even nicer look. Thanks for sharing this, Mimi in Maine. If my friend likes the taste, Ill surely make these often again! Update: My friend now has made the bars from the mix and wanted me to tell you that she liked them a lot. The preparation was super easy and the taste great!