Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the cookbook "How It All Vegan."
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry sweetener
- 1 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup water
- 1 cup chocolate chips or 1 cup carob chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sweetener.
- Add the oil, vanilla, milk, and chocolate chips and mix together gently until just mixed.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13 pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Test with a knife to see if done.
- Let cool 10 minutes before cutting into bars.
I have a convection oven which usually cooks on the short side. Despite using the times listed, the middle of this was not properly cooked. I used water which was okay but some form of milk product would have been better. Needs a bit of tweaking to make it a reliable recipe.
i am currently working on devouring the whole batch! made this last night from my own copy of how- and found it was posted here as well. i used natural applesauce rather than oil, carob chips, and brown rice and whole wheat flours. splenda for the sweetener.
I liked that these were not overly sweet. It is a great recipe for those who can not eat eggs or butter. Next time I will try spreading them thinner as they seemed a bit heavy to me.