Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I've had this recipe for many years on an old recipe card that is yellowing badly. I'm putting it here for safekeeping. This is a very tasty pie and different from most others I've had. Prep time does not include chill time.
- 2 cups corn flakes, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (1 envelope)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large bananas, ripe, sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, chopped
- Mix corn flake crumbs, melted butter and sugar together.
- Press firmly on bottom and sides of pie plate.
- Chill until ready to fill.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar thoroughly.
- Add a little scalded milk, stirring constantly.
- Add mixture to rest of scalded milk in pan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Soften gelatin in cold water and blend into custard.
- Add vanilla.
- Chill until it starts to gel then fold in sliced bananas.
- Pour into crumb shell and spread on sour cream.
- Sprinkle chopped chocolate chips over top.
- Cover pie with meringue.