Prep 4 hrs
Cook 20 mins
A rich dessert using cookie dough for the base. From Country Woman Magazine, which won grand prize. Prep time includes chilling time.
- 1 (18 ounce) can refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄3 cups milk
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 3 medium firm bananas
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Cut cookie dough in half widthwise.
- Let one portion stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften (return the other half to the refrigerator for another use).
- Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 11-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir in milk until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Spread 1 cup filling into prepared crust.
- Slice bananas; arrange over filling.
- Pour remaining filling over bananas.
- Refrigerate 2 hours or until set.
- In a chilled mixing bowl; beat cream until it begins to thicken.
- Add confectioners' sugar and remaining vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over pie.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
This banana pie was very refreshing and delicious. I made the mistake of using all the cookie dough because there didn't seem to be enough with just half, so they crust was a little thick. Next time I'll only use half the dough or maybe just a little bit more to be able to fill the whole pie plate. I used cool whip instead of the whipping cream to save time, with good results. This was a great treat for summer, thanks!