Recipe by Martina
A rich dessert using cookie dough for the base. From Country Woman Magazine, which won grand prize. Prep time includes chilling time.
Top Review by Karamia
This banana pie was very refreshing and delicious. I made the mistake of using all the cookie dough because there didn't seem to be enough with just half, so they crust was a little thick. Next time I'll only use half the dough or maybe just a little bit more to be able to fill the whole pie plate. I used cool whip instead of the whipping cream to save time, with good results. This was a great treat for summer, thanks!
- 1 (18 ounce) can refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄3 cups milk
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 3 medium firm bananas
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cookie dough in half widthwise.
- Let one portion stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften (return the other half to the refrigerator for another use).
- Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 11-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir in milk until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Spread 1 cup filling into prepared crust.
- Slice bananas; arrange over filling.
- Pour remaining filling over bananas.
- Refrigerate 2 hours or until set.
- In a chilled mixing bowl; beat cream until it begins to thicken.
- Add confectioners' sugar and remaining vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over pie.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- Refrigerate leftovers.