Super moist, easy and doesn't need icing. I've had many people request this recipe and have had it described as "the best chocolate cake I've ever eaten." To make this healthier, I change the applesauce amount to 2 1/4 c. and use only 1/4 c. of oil.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat sugar, oil, eggs, and applesauce.
- Add flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cocoa. Beat well.
- Pour into 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake at 375 degree F oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove cake and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.
- Return to oven and bake 15-25 minutes longer.
- Does not need icing.